Gluten Free Vegetarian Pasta Bake Recipe
There is nothing like a bowl of warm pasta on a cold winter evening to make you feel cosy at home! This recipe was born one day out of not having much left in the pantry and fridge – hubby and I felt like comfort food and all I had was pasta, sauce, cheese and a drawer full of vegetables! This gluten free vegetarian pasta bake has become a favourite in our household – I just love all the flavours and textures of the different vegetables… Not to mention the crispy cheese and pepper on top!
GLUTEN FREE VEGETARIAN PASTA BAKE RECIPE
by Gluten Is The Devil
<SERVES 6 as a meal>
20 minutes preparation; 15 to 20 minutes cooking time
YOU WILL NEED…
- Kettle (boiled)
- Large saucepan OR stockpot with lid
- Wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Knife (to slice vegetables)
- Large mixing bowl
- Kitchen scissors
- Lasagne dish OR large ovenproof dish
- 250g dry gluten-free pasta spirals
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- 250g cup mushrooms
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 small piece of broccoli
- 1 cup loosely packed parsley leaves
- 150g fresh tasty cheese
- extra virgin olive oil spray
- 500g jar gluten-free pasta sauce
- cracked black pepper
1. Preheat a fan-forced oven to 180°C.
2. Place the large saucepan OR stockpot on the stove. Carefully fill the saucepan/stockpot half of the way up with boiled water from the kettle. Place the lid on the saucepan/stockpot, place over high heat and bring to the boil. Once the water is boiling, turn down the heat and carefully remove the lid. Add a small splash of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt to the water (to stop the pasta from sticking together and for taste, respectively). Add the dry gluten-free pasta spirals to the water and stir with the wooden spoon to remove any clumps. Over medium to high heat, cook for approximately eleven minutes or until cooked through, stirring every so often.
3. Meanwhile, using a chopping board and knife, chop the mushrooms into 2cm pieces and slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Add to the large mixing bowl. Peel, slice lengthways and then roughly chop the carrots. Cut the florets away from the head of broccoli, and slice in half any large florets. Using the kitchen scissors, roughly chop the parsley leaves. Grate the fresh tasty cheese.
4. Once the pasta has cooked, switch off the heat and carefully drain the pasta in the colander over the kitchen sink. Rinse the pasta, if you wish.
5. Lightly spray the lasagne OR large ovenproof dish with extra virgin olive oil spray. Add the cooked pasta to the dish and spread evenly, followed by the chopped vegetables. Evenly pour or spoon over the gluten-free pasta sauce, sprinkle over half of the tasty cheese and finally, the chopped parsley. Using the tablespoon, mix the pasta/vegetable/sauce/cheese/parsley mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Sprinkle over the remaining tasty cheese and top the dish with cracked black pepper, to taste. Place in the oven for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is golden. Serve and enjoy your gluten free vegetarian pasta bake!