Easy Gluten Free Roast Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
There is something incredibly comforting about tucking into roast dinner on a Sunday night… Even when you live in the tropics! In fact, my husband just turned on the air conditioner to make up for the heat the oven generated while cooking dinner… #tropicalqueenslandproblems! Ha ha.
It is very rare that I cook, photograph and blog a recipe all in one night. But for two reasons, I shall achieve this, this evening:
1) This recipe is ridiculously delicious and I couldn’t wait to share it with you; and
2) This recipe is ridiculously easy.
With only four key ingredients, plus some olive oil spray and cracked salt & pepper, you have yourself a super duper easy, delectable gluten free roast chicken dinner within one hour.
EASY GLUTEN FREE ROAST CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS RECIPE
by Gluten Is The Devil
<SERVES 2 as a meal>
10 minutes preparation time; 1 hour cooking time
YOU WILL NEED…
- x1 Roasting pan
- Chopping board
- Knife (to slice potatoes and carrots)
- Plastic coated tongs
- Small saucepan with lid
- Measuring cup
- x2 Dinner plates
- extra virgin olive oil spray
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 2 medium potatoes, washed
- 3 medium carrots
- cracked sea salt
- 3/4 cup frozen baby peas
- cracked black pepper
1. Spray the bottom and sides of the roasting pan with extra virgin olive oil spray and carefully place the pan in the oven. Turn the oven onto 220°C to pre-heat.
2. Meanwhile, using the chopping board and knife, roughly chop the potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Peel the carrots and slice each of the carrots into eight pieces.
3. Carefully remove the pre-heated roasting pan from the oven. Place the chicken drumsticks into the pan and spray them with the oil spray. Place the drumsticks into the oven and set the timer for 20 minutes.
4. After 20 minutes, carefully remove the roasting pan from the oven. Decrease the oven temperature to 200°C. Turn the drumsticks using the plastic coated tongs. Then, carefully add the chopped potatoes and sliced carrot around the drumsticks. Spray the potatoes and carrots with the oil spray and add cracked sea salt to the vegetables and chicken. Place the pan in the oven and set the timer for a further 20 minutes.
5. At the 40-minute mark, carefully turn each drumstick using the tongs, as well as each piece of potato and carrot. Turn the oven back up to 220°C and set the timer for a further 20 minutes.
6. With approximately 10 to 12 minutes left on the oven timer, fill the small saucepan with cold water, add the lid and bring to the boil on the stove. Measure out the baby frozen peas using the measuring cup. Carefully remove the lid of the saucepan once the water has boiled and cook the peas according to the instructions on the packaging. Carefully drain the peas over the kitchen sink using the sieve.
7. After a total of 1 hour cooking time, remove the roasting tray from the oven and serve the contents between two dinner plates using the plastic coated tongs. Crack some black pepper over the cooked chicken, potatoes and carrots. Add the cooked peas to the plates using the tablespoon. All that’s left to do now is…. Sit back and enjoy your gluten free roast chicken and mouth-watering, caramelised veggies!!
Tips when cooking this recipe:
- Every oven is different, therefore you may find that you need to adjust the temperatures listed in the above recipe to suit your particular oven.